Re: cc's for nextloop

this is sort of old, but I'm sort of behind....

At 2:00 PM -0500 1/25/98, klaw@iglou.com wrote:
>Hello everyone .  Top o the day to ya. Regarding switching loops with ccs
>:
>How is this done? I thought the ccs were feedback, vol. I switch with note
>ons did I miss something?

Using continuous controllers to trigger echoplex loops is much like using
notes. basically, the controller number is equivalent to note# and
controller value is equivalent to velocity. You send the appropriate cc
with some non-zero value, and it's treated as note on, and then send the
same cc with value 0 and it's the note-off.

>Also perhaps a question for KIm : Is it possible with current hardware on
>plex to reset loops to startpoint when using nxtloop? This has always
>seemed so logical& musical.If I have a number of loops in a piece I need
>them to  start at the beginning when I switch rather than run continously.
>I supose it would have its uses in a random sort of way but its not very
>predictable. Maybe have a option to reset or run like in mute mode.BTW
>thanks Kim for your ideas on the quantize function. I finally found a use
>for this!Works excellent in V5.0.

That's a pretty good idea for a parameter, actually. (more parameters,
yeeee...)  Let me explain some about how it does work, and maybe you'll
find a way that works for you anyway.

The default state of NextLoop isn't really random. You return to the loop
at the point where you left it.

When you are working in free, unquantized approach, this is often
appropriate. In a rhythmic sense (and this is appropriate to droney and
groovy loops), you will often leave a loop at it's end instead of random
spots in the middle. So when you return to it, it will be at it's
beginning. What the "beginning" or "end" is can be a matter of perception,
and may not coincide with the spot in memory that the echoplex thinks is
the beginning. It'll have much more to do with what's in the loop and how
you developed it.

For example, say you start off a loop with some ambient, textural sounds,
and then gradually add to it and develop it in such a way that some more
percussive sounds begin to define a rhythm. Probably it will have a point
somewhere that feels like the beginning. And probably that will have
nothing to do with where the little startpoint LED is blinking, because
who's going to constrain themselves to that while creating a loop? So when
you used Next you would switch out of a loop when you felt you were at it's
end, and therefore return to it later at what feels like the beginning.

That's the free approach. There's also the SwitchQuantizing mode, where the
loops automatically switch at the end and start at the beginning. To me
this is more appropriate where accurate rhythm is important. It does sort
of assume you want the loop to go all the way to it's end.

When triggering with midi, with the "SamperStyle" parameter set to either
"One" or "Att" the loops start at the beginning when they are triggered.
("One" means the loop is triggered and plays one time through, and can be
retriggered each time the midi note is sent. "Att" means the loop is
triggered at the begining and plays as long as the note is held. When the
noteoff comes, the loop turns off)  Sounds like you want another
SamplerStyle parameter of "start", where you trigger the loop with midi, it
starts at it's beginning, and continues looping. (just like MuteMode=Start
parameter.) Seems like a reasonable idea to me.

hope that helps.

kim