RE: Guitar-o-centrism

Too often music appreciation is seen as a sport that people use to justify
their personal biases and need for recognition of some sort or other for
proving incessantly how really in tune with something they feel everyone
else should be in tune with...puuuhleease.

The energy I take exception with and what I had originally responded to is
often times the assuming and presumptuous tone that most ( but clearly not
all ) Fripp Headed Enthusiasts or classic Prog Types seem to transfer when
they instinctively make blanket statements that are either laughable or
dismissable in a circle that seems way too often to originate either in
contempt and/or cultural myopia.

It's the musical extension of a Mega ( negative sided ) European American
centered perspective ( Im also not trashing Euro-Americans, there are many
positive and wonderful and essential sides to their perspectives ) that
always assumes its superiority or the inferiority of something or someone
else that is not shared, experienced or valued at a level deemed
significant by that culture.

The very dismissiveness of those comments whether they were directly or
indirectly meant to be that way seem to be a way of thought I'd
characterize as a sad but common in way too many guitar oriented circles.
Even though Im a synth and Sampler Dude, I was and still am for the most
part a Rock Gtr player who is interested in speaking in say...hmmmmm how
to put htis....speaking more than just one language-  that's it.

IMHO thoughts that are circulated such as "guitar o centrisms" are
dangerous and deleterious ( pretentious word - I know ) to the sake of all
music that has been and is yet to be.

Like and dislike are perspectives that's all & nothing more or less than
that and clearly neither good or bad in and of themselves. They're just
subjective feelings that always get taken to a level of unholy relevance.

All music including the good and bad needs to exist for any music to exist.

Now this business about a string and rock and history threw me. Perhaps
you read too much into my "plain old", cybertext.

Lately, just about any cism seems to get my ire. :)

Thanks for responding. I value your thoughts and everyone elses :)

BTW, Im looking into getting one of those SP202's from boss. Anybody here
got 1 ??? If so, whats your experience been with it and have you used it
out live ????

JP

This is where things go awry. A piano is not plain or old. Guitar or an
ancestor thereof may go back to the bow and arrow, depending on the music
history version you subscribe to. It's a primal and fundamental way to make
a pleasant noise, back there with the drum (maybe that's why they both
symbolize Rock Music).

Piano is a horrendously complex contraption that helped introduce the
Industrial Age. Try to make a piano with a stick and rubber band and get
back to me.