Re: Secrets of Fripp

At 05:56 PM 2/16/98 -0000, T.W. Hartnett wrote:
>>> For instance, Fripp sets his different
>>> delay lines to specific mathematical ratios with the intent of creating
>>> evolving textures that repeat in a long, yet specific amount of time. I
>>> don't know what the numerical significance is to him (if any) but it
>seems
>>> like he often uses prime number ratios, like 31:7 or something. Now
>how is
>>> it that I know that and none of you Fripp fans ever brought it up?
>jeez.
>
>Because there's this guy on the list who gets sort of twitchy if we talk
>a lot about Fripp or gear.

Ah!! So that's where all these facial ticks came from. :-)

Admittedly I phrased that statement in a lame way, sorry. Looks especially
bad when removed of surrounding context, but that's life on the internet,
and I'll take it. Eventually the new twitch in my left leg will subside,
and
children will stop laughing at me on the street.

The point was that many of you are clearly influenced by Robert Fripp and
admire him. Many others here never even heard of him before, as shocking as
that may sound. Some people are in between and have heard him a bit and
might want to learn more about what he is doing with looping and why some
people think so highly of him in that regard. Since this list is about
looping, it would be really great if some of you RF experts could teach the
rest of us about his looping techniques, looping conceptions, loop
approaches, etc.

Try your best not to go off on tangents about his personality quirks, and
try to avoid talking down to your audience. Those are the sorts of things
that cause folks in some circles to have strong nervous system reactions to
fans of Mr. Fripp. Instead, just teach us something in a friendly, positive
way, and the rest of us would be happy to return the favor.

twitching,

kim
Kim Flint                       408-752-9284
Mpact Systems Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research              http://www.chromatic.com