Re: "Echoplex" plugin for MOTU system

This is a long post, but hopefully useful if you have a Mac and loop.

I was keeping this under wraps until I developed it further. Now seems like
a good time to get some feedback, being that there may be some interest.

I'm working on a real time controlled delay/looping system for Mac. While
not a plug-in, it is a stand-alone. It uses MAX with the MSP audio
extensions. My intent is to first design a system around my needs and then
add the customization needed by others. Because this software has heavy
hardware requirements, I am going to make it available for free.

The software is inspired (and right now derived) from one of the tutorial
patches. That patch had a maximum delay off 1 second per channel.

Here is where the system is as of now:

1.) 20 seconds of stereo delay with variable feedback. Right now I've
allocated 24 MB of RAM to MAX. I can probably triple the delay time easily.
The program is only utilizing just over 1/3 of the RAM heap and is using
35% of the CPU (I uses a 604/e 233 mHz). I have 128 MB of RAM and just
haven't seen how long a delay time I can get before the audio breaks up.

2.) I'm starting to add MIDI control of parameters. In my setup I'll be
using a Roland EV-5 pedal, Roland DP-2 switch, and an I-Cube system. I
haven't decided on the sensors for the I-Cube yet.

3.) Support for soundcards. I use an Audiomedia III. With the supplied
drivers, I can use all 4 inputs and outputs. This lets me send a digital
signal straight to DAT. Before the question is asked, yes it can support
the Korg card. I don't own one (yet) but I could easily add support. Other
cards could be supported as well.

Some ideas for where it's going:

1.) Multiple loops. Since there would have to be a maximum delay time, I
could split the total time between mutiple signal routes. 3 or 4 stereo
delays seem likely. 8 to 12 mono delays are a possibility.

2.) I have not even begun to think of a user interface. It should be
intuitive and not confusing.

3.) I want the MIDI control to be open ended, since all users do not not
have the same equipment. An easy and quick way to customize control is
desirable.

4.) Further signal processing beside delay. MSP and MAX are very powerful.

5.) Give me feedback, I'm sure there are features I haven't even thought
of.

If this is of any interest:

1.) Get the runtime version of MSP at
http://www.cycling74.com/products/msp.html. See if it runs on your system.

2.) Comments and feedback could be sent to the list in order to hash out
general ideas in public. However, if it's not of value to the list and/or
looping  please contact me direct so we don't waste bandwidth.

3.) This project is in it's infancy. I also have a day job to contend with.
I have put no time limits on development. It's useable to me right now. It
may be weeks/months before I could release an alpha version to the public.

4.) There are some Real Audio examples available - follow the links in my
sig. My favorite right now is called "C-Scape" and available at ETape.

Kim, I didn't have any marbles to begin with...

Have fun!

Ken

Ken Mistove
kmistove@eclipse.net