Re: Beyond Mono and Stereo

I'm glad to see the beginning of the end of the extreme overuse of
surroundsound in theaters.  Around a year ago it seemed like every movie
was being mixed like an old Cream record.  Esp. the traffic sounds- the
position was so overused that it ruined the realism of the movie- sound
design is in most cases at its best when you don't really notice it.
Listening to the dramatic panning of a passing car sort takes your
attention away from the film, and puts it on how clever the mixer must
think he is.

I have thought for a while that 3d sound might be more useful in music.
I think that surreal sonic stuff in music is a lot more fun than in
film.

My $.02

Trevor