RE: ring modulators

Black Cat Productions (or something like that) makes one that is a
pedal. I read about it on the Analog Man (Ananlog Mike) website. I ran
into a guy who was using one and he thought that it did some sick and
wonderful things. His band was doing so much insane stuff I couldn't
really comment on how it sounded, but as I say, the guy was totally into
it (these guys were super serious about gear, so it could be a good
piece).

The guy said that it IS pricey . . . but then you could try to find an
EH Frequency Analyzer and put out some serious bucks for that too.

I also have heard that the DOD Gonkulator is kinda cool, though they're
not making it anymore from what I understand.

Good luck.