Re: Guitar stuff! Stick stuff!

What is the advantage of the minor 3rd interval between the
second and first strings in the crafty tuning?  Mostly a readily
available 7th chord by barreing the first three strings.  What
was the original reason for the minor third between those two
strings?  Primarily the ability to string the instrument without
breaking the fist string every time.  On an acoustic guitar, the
need to balance volume with desired tuning demanded this
compromise.  The reecommended string set for acoustics
using Crafty tuning has a .011 for the first string.  The sixth
string is a .058 in.  The sixth string is a function of two separate
factors.  One, it does not seem that the bridge on an Ovation
acoustic guitar will readily accept strings larger than .058 in.
Second, if one was to use, say, a .064 the increased tension
will likely cause excess stress on the guitar top causing the top
to distort.  (This I found from--brief--experience.)

With an electric guitar and a bridge that can handle a very wide
range of string gauges as well as tensions, it seems obvious
that an all 5th's tuning can be achieved.

Can one get "big jazz tone" out of a Stick or similar touchboard
style instrument?  I can't vouch for the Stick, but I know this can
be done on a Warr guitar.  I've studied with Frank Jolliffe, and he
is a monster jazz tapper who can definitely get that "big jazz tone".
Of course, a lot of the tonal aspect of a tapping instrument is
derived from the choice of amplification and processing, but it is
pretty darned easy to get a Warr to do that big ole jazz box thang.
(I think a Stick could do the same thing with the correct (heavier)
guage strings.)