Re[2]: Fred Frith

     I'm only really familiar with Fred's work from the period of Henry
Cow
     (for whom I failed the audition as bassist!) up to the Art Bears, but
     if you ever see a copy of his GUITAR SOLOS (1974 - Caroline in the
     UK), then invest immediately.

     Its some while since I've heard it, but I suspect at last part of it
     was recorded with some form of tape delay device (the original sleeve
     notes comment that most/all performances are live apart from one
track
     which had two notes edited out) - anyone know anything more on this?

     I recall he used various `prepared' guitar techniques - alligator
     clips on the strings etc, but also had an additional pick-up attached
     to the head stock of his guitar, which could `pick up' the sound of
     the string's vibrations from `behind' the left hand fingers,
achieving
     a duet/harmonised effect (sort of).

     GUITAR SOLOS 2 (with G.F. Fitzgerald, Hans Reichel, and  Derek
Bailey)
     had a few diagrams of recording techniques - placing speakers under a
     piano's lid and taping the resonance etc. plus

     David