RE: a woman's ears

At 2:05 PM -0800 3/8/98, Laurie Hatch wrote:
>Invariably, xy's I've played with have been able to handle louder high
>frequency volumes onstage than I, some by a considerable margin.  (Maybe
>that's
>one reason why I'm into bass %^). This doesn't mean I don't like it
>totally
>intense and balls to the wall!  Plus, overall I think my musical tastes
>are
>usually as out there as anybody's.  So it may well be that, as you suggest
>Sarajane, in some situations volume can have more to do with discomfort
>than
>musical content.  Non-musicians may not necessarily be able to articulate
>the
>difference.

Just so's you know.....As I understand the physiological issue, it's not
volume or high frequencies that cause the discomfort in women. It's
particular types of non-harmonic distortion in the audio system, which will
tend to be worse at higher volume. I've seen several discussions of this in
audio engineering journals, usually under the context of how to get a wider
customer base for audio products.

These inharmonic distortions add frequency components to the sound in a
particular way that women tend to have a negative reaction to while men
typically don't notice. It is very common with cheap home/audio stereos,
cheap PA systems, cheap music gear, etc. It also happens in more expensive
gear that isn't designed very well. As the volume is turned up on these
systems, the distortions start to happen, and women will start to find it
unpleasant for physiological reasons. On cleaner systems that don't
generate these distortions, the discomfort doesn't happen.

This is where the misconceptions that women don't like loud music comes
from. Some guy with a shoddy $100 car stereo has it turned up to where he's
got tons of crossover and IMD distortion coming out of his crappy speakers,
and his girlfriend demands that he turn it down. If he hadn't been such a
cheapskate and bought a decent stereo in the first place, she would stick
around longer. (or at least wouldn't complain about the volume...)

Men will also experience this type of discomfort, although it is less
pronounced and takes longer. If you ever experienced "ear fatigue" while
mixing or listening to a walkman or something, I think that's it. On a
better quality audio system, you can last much longer.

It's something to think about when choosing gear. You might save a few
bucks and alienate half your potential audience in the process. And if you
are stupid enough to think it's that the women just don't get your music,
well, you are probably just stupid......

kim