Re: AW: RealAudio samples from LD

Michael Peters wrote:

> >I think RealAudio is the best choice if streaming and a large
> >installation base are the main concerns.
>
> that's right but just to make sure, you (or your internet provider) need
> realaudio server for streaming. If you don't have a realaudio server, you
> can't do streaming realaudio, but you can still use the encoder to
>produce
> real small audio files for people to download.

Actually, even without a RealServer, you can do HTTP streaming. From the
RealAudio and RealVideo Content Creation Guide Version 5.0:

"HTTP streaming of RealAudio or RealVideo files enables content
providers to stream RealAudio and RealVideo clips from a World Wide Web
server. While this method is not as robust [as RealServer], it provides
a reasonable method for providing short RealAudio and RealVideo content
to a limited number of users.  RealAudio and RealVideo works with all
popular Web servers."

I've found that HTTP streaming works fairly well from my site.  In fact,
with my brand-new 56K modem, I've even heard my 40.3KBPS files without
interruption on some occasions, though not always.

John
Troubador Tech (http://people.delphi.com/johnpollock/)