RE: Smaller Speakers, Light Gear.

This may sound odd to all of the electric guitar players out there, but I
think I may have found something of interest concerning good sound in a
light-
weight rig.  Being primarily an acoutic guitar player, I have always known
that electric guitar amplifiers are not good for an acoutic guitar sound.
It
stands to reason that any amplifying device that has only one type of
speaker
in it cannot possibly produce the sound (especially higher frequencies)
necessary to gain the tonal qualities inherant to an acoutic guitar.  One
day,
I walked into a music store and saw a 60 pound acoustic guitar amp (Crate
125D) and thought  I should try it.  This little amp is really cool.  It's
light and has 125 watt rms power (certainly enough for any club, with the
proper PA system)  Line level out, effect send and returns,  built in
digital
effect and a biamp construction with extremely good high frequency
capability.
It has two larger speakers and two horns or piezeos.

As I played the amp. more, I began to become aware of the fact that most
electric guitar sound has little or no high frequency components.  Could
it be
because of the speakers?  I think the answer is "absolutely". You cannot
get
high frequencies from a large speaker (or banks of large speakers).  You
have to have horns to produce those sounds.  My son plugged his electric
guitar  into the amp and prefers it to his Roland 120 Chorus (A very well
regarded amp).  He tells me, and I believe that the sound is indeed
better.

My suggestion, go try a Crate 125D acoustic guitar amp with your electric
rig.
>From there, with the line level out, you just need a good PA. Remember,
>the
entire amp weighs about  60 pounds and packs alot of punch.   As far as a
light weight PA system, go with switching trnasistor technology,  400 watt
amps = 5 pounds, and check out Community Speakers, they are incredibly
light
with major ability.

Technology is cool.

Regards;