Re: DOS drivers, sound

matthew hahn <esker@mail.utexas.edu> asked:

>My computer will not operate sound due to not being connected to DOS's
>sound drivers, I do not have a DOS book and the Computer Diagnostics book
>do not go into.  Can anyone help me, before I call that thing called
>Customer Support?

DOS has no inherent drivers for sound cards.  They were shipped with the
cards themselves.  Are you using a SoundBlaster?  If so, then Creative
Labs'
site will have the current drivers (or the last versions), since people
still run MS-DOS Windows and Sessions from Windows95/etc.  In other words,
the manufacturer of the sound card in question will have the drivers for
DOS
use on their web site/ftp site for free downloading.

If you've already had the sound card installed, though, it's a possibility
that the drivers were REMmed out of Config.SYS/Autoexec.BAT some time ago,
and just aren't being addressed - and they might still be on your hard
disk.
Check, in the case of a SoundBlaster, in a directory called SB16 or SB32
for
a start.

Let me know what other variables exist, and I'll do my best to assist.

Stephen Goodman  * It's... The Loop Of The Week!
EarthLight Studios    * http://www.earthlight.net/Studios