Re: Smaller Speakers/tube amps, blah, blah, blah.....

Kim Flint wrote:

> probably the last I have to say about this, since it's getting off
>topic....

Y'mean you're gonna let _me_ have the last word? ;-)  OK:  Hi, my name
is John, and I'm a recovering tube amp addict...

I agree that the minutiae of how a tube amp does its magic belongs in
alt.guitar.amps... but we're all here, and I do think that the problem
of getting a good guitar sound _and_ getting a good loop sound without
lugging refrigerator-sized and expensive gear to gigs is pretty much on
topic.  Paolo, with his perpetual twin gifts for relevance and
succintness, should have had the last word:

Paolo Valladolid wrote:

> I've always liked the idea of getting a little tube amp for the
>overdriven
> sounds (e.g. the Mesa Boogie Subway Blues or the Ampeg ???Rocket or ??)
> and using that in conjunction with the full range amplification setup.
> Just mic the little tube amp and use your mixer to do whatever you want
> to it (add effects, split it, just leave it dry, etc.).

Sadly, I lack those gifts... ;-/

I also share your enthusiasm for tube amplifiers, to a point; while I've
divested myself of most of mine, I still have a blackface Showman and a
silverface Champ (still loaded with carefully-nurtured original
Fender-branded tubes).  And back when I was your age, and for quite a
few years after that, I hauled my '72 Quad Reverb (which I hotrodded by
rewiring the tremolo circuit into two extra signal-path gain stages) up
and down many flights of stairs.

But I must disagree with you about where the "bounce" comes from.  If it
were only input impedance, we'd all be happy with a simple, single 12AX7
preamp (and Stevie Ray Vaughan wouldn't have kept a Tube Screamer
between his guitar and his Fender, Vox and Dumble amps).

I contend that the tube magic comes from
(a) the soft, curvaceous clipping which occurs in the grid/cathode
diodes as the signal increases; much more musical than the harsh,
square-kneed clipping in early solid state amplifiers, though current
designs are mighty close;
(b) the decrease in plate voltage (power supply sag) which takes place
as the signal increases; much more noticeable with tube rectifiers,
causing gentle compression, but having its greatest effect on the
unregulated screen voltage of the output tubes, which in turn affects
(c) the highly interactive output transformer/voice coil/cone/cabinet
reactances, which vary wildly with signal strenth, frequency, and
waveform; attempting to mimic this ain't easy, which is why good cabinet
emulators are so expensive.

But I contend that the input impedance of a 12AX7 is so nearly constant
that the effect of variations on the pickup's frequency response are
inaudible and un-feelable.  First, I doubt that _any_ passive guitar
pickup can drive the first stage hard enough to produce grid current
flow.  If it did, the resulting resistance (equal to the signal voltage
squared divided by the grid dissipation) would be _tiny_, only slightly
reducing the effective resistance of the typical one-megohm grid leak
resistor.

I further contend that active pickups actually _increase_ the dynamic
effects available from a tube amp.  I can plug my active pickup guitars
into the aforementioned Showman and crank both guitar and amp wide open,
with no risk of the horrid EMI (powerline noise, fluorescent buzz, etc.)
which is all too likely with passive pickups.  Also, the higher output
might actually be enough to cause a little clipping in the input stage.

But I cheerfully relinquish the virtues of the Showman and its attendant
JBL-loaded 115 cabinet, in favor of a single rack space preamp with only
two 12AX7s.  I know what I'm missing; I just don't miss it very much--
certainly not enough to justify maintaining and transporting the Showman
rig in addition to the PA.

(At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if fred marshall popped in,
gently tapped his water glass twice, and murmered, "Class...
mmmmmmmmmm")

John
Troubador Tech (http://people.delphi.com/johnpollock/)