Re: brown25, sample sites, Loop/Sample Info

Mjh,

Since joining this mailing list, I've noticed that a lot of people loop in
many different ways.  As far as I'm concerned, I like the pc, and the DAW -
digital audio workstation.  This is really cool because you can physically
do things to music...move sounds, with a mouse, to where you want them.
There are a lot of multitrack DAW's out there...I use SAW+ by innovative
quality software, and the Digital Audio Labs Card D +, which allows I/O
analog with simultaneous play and record.  The DAW makes things very
flexible as far as recording.  You can change the sound on each
track...like make one track go backwards while the rest go forward....and
also make each go at a different speed...so if a sample is out of the key
you want, you can slow down/speed up until it is on.  Lastly, everything is
done as a .wav file...so almost everything is compatible or convert-able.
If you are a musician and want to perform as a musician on a studio
work...the DAW probably isn't for you....it's a little bit more of a pain
to set up like that than something like an ADAT.  Furthermore, you can only
do one track at a time with mine...I think there is an update that allows
for multiple track record....but you would need extra sound cards.  If you
approach your studio work more as an artist than a musician...then the pc
based DAW is where it's at.  Geez, I sound like a salesman....sorry, I just
dig it!!!!  If you're looking for samples...there a butloads of drum loop
samples on the net....the pisser is that you've got to cover your butt
legally if you plan to sell it, and there isn't usually any information
about the origin of the loop....I'm stuck there right now...after
downloading a bunch of loops, cutting them up and using them in
songs...I've found that I have to dig up where they came from originally so
I can get licensing to use them...otherwise I could get sued.  The people
that run those sites haven't been very forthcoming with any info...they've
just said...sorry can't help.
If you want info on DAW's or sample sites....just type in DAW or 'digital
audio workstation' into a search engine...since it's a pc-based
thing...they all have sites on the internet.  If you're looking for sites
with samples, 'breakbeat' seems to be a word that spews plentiful sites out
of a search engine.

Hope I've helped!!!!
brown25
----------
> From: matthew hahn <esker@mail.utexas.edu>
> To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
> Subject: brown25, sample sites, Loop/Sample Info
> Date: Saturday, March 21, 1998 11:01 PM
>
> brown25
> Thank you very much for the sites, I will be checking them out shortly.
> Other attempts at finding sampling/looping info are not very forthcoming.
> Book stores seem to forgo them, the few books which can be ordered seem
> somewhat questionable.
> The technical language though simple for the users, subscribers long-time
> to Electronic Musician, etc. those have followed the sonic evolvement
from
> Alleatory, Musique Concrete, etc., the beginnings of cheaper digital
> sampling with the Emu Emulator, will know the code phrase jargon.  I'm
> still looking for more!  Haven't gone to the retail sampler stores yet.
> One of the reasons for my forray into sound is a webpage for a
> communications technology class at U.T. at Austin.  It is
sampling/looping