Re: ProjeKct 2 @ Palookaville, Santa Cruz, CA...

> Is anyone else disturbed by Fripp's use of cheesy guitar synth sounds?  I
> mean, if *insert studdly keyboardist name here* played the same piano,
> organ, and marimba sounds that Fripp used people would say "That sounds
> sucks!"  And it does!!!  What is so fascinating about a guitarist playing
> crappy keyboard sounds on a guitar?  Okay....obviously this is a personal
> pet peeve.  I just don't get it.

I think it is Fripp showing his sense of humor.  I recall someone
reporting that he played a Hendrix tune using a cheesy organ patch to
add a whimsical touch to it.

> People on ET have been raving about "the new vocabulary" P2 is
>exploring.
> I heard nothing new.  I heard drum sounds straight from ToaPP (Three of a
> Perfect Pair's "Industry"), soundscaping from Fripp's many recent solo
> discs, and Gunn's noodling ala his solo discs....

Granted I haven't seen Projekt Two live yet (I will tonight at House Of
Blues in Los Angeles), so my opinions are based on the double CD set my
buddy fetched for me at the Ventura gig.

Basically, it sounds like the trio is exploring improvisation in a way
very similar to Miles Davis' late 60s projects - most notably those
documented in _Bitches Brew_, _In A Silent Way_, _Tribute To Jack Johnson_,
and the live recordings with Pete Cosey and Co. (_Live/Evil_, _Pangaea_,
etc.)

Fripp's soloing style is very different from what I've heard him play
with King Crimson or anywhere else.  This is the closest we will probably
ever hear him come to sounding like a bebop musician.  I rarely heard him
play bona-fide bebop licks with KC, for example. :)

> P.S.  That being say, the P2 song directly after the intermission was
> *very* cool, erie, and sublime.  How in the heck was Gunn triggering
>those
> vocal samples?  IMO, this song hinted at what this group of musicians are
> capable of.

Gunn's Warr Guitar is now MIDI-fied with RMC pickups.  I forget his exact
rig, however.

Paolo Valladolid