Re: Phenomenon

John and Diane asked:
>Who would care to take a shot? Compare looping with soundscaping.
>Differences & similarities.

Looping is what we all do around here.
Soundscaping is what Robert Fripp does when he's looping.
Aside from the name change, I don't percieve any major difference.

> What's the difference technique, gear, attitude or creativity?

Now that, my friend, is dangerous ground around here!

>I haven't looped yet but do play space with series of delays and analog
>effects. I'm of the mind of attitude and style. What do you think?

If you've played with a series of delays, and had that feedback knob turned
up long enough to play back over, you've looped.  Looping, to me, means
using a delay to enable you to play more than one sound at once, live.
It's easy to get precious about things beyond that.  As far as I'm
concerned Eric Johnson is looping on the first track of Tones, and he's
just using a 1/2 second delay pedal with a "hold" switch.

The Reverend said:
>And does being an "experimental guitarist" mean
>that you also don't practice your double-stops
>and hammer-ons? :-)

Yeah, but we do get to practice hitting the strings with hammers, fruit or
marital aids.

Michael