DAW options overload

Jon Grant wrote:
>By limiting yourself to simple cut and paste techniques, the DAW user is
cheating themself out of a huge range of creative possibilities.<

Well said, it was good to hear your ideas. Attempts to save a track using
cut and paste editing also kills your nerves. I like some of the
possibilities the DAW offers us, but have also experienced some of the
negative aspects (especially on the last CD production I worked on).
Filtering different tracks and testing results ad infinitum. Staying up all
night high on caffeine and no longer "hearing". Overwhelmed by options.
That's the beauty of the loop machines (Jamman, EDP, etc.) - they don't
allow you complete editing control - you learn to live with your mistakes.
I read an interesting interview with CAN (the German band from the 70's)
who, after recording most of their early albums using rudimentary or DIY
systems (developed by Holger Czukay), eventually got into 16-track
recording. This lead to the demise of CAN. They now admit that the (then)
newly available option of being able to monitor tracks separately and to
re-record them if necessary (until perfection had been achieved) was the
culprit. I'm all for live mixes and letting "mistakes" (slight
imperfections) stand. Talk to you later...

Rob