Re: CAN (Was: DAW options overload)

John Nielson wrote
>Actually, I think most of CAN's classic albums were recorded live to
>2-track, and post-production consisted of editing their improvisations
>with a razor where necessary.<

Yes, you're right about all of this - in fact CAN were using tape loops of
rhythm grooves back in 1971 with TAGO MAGO (esp. on "Halleluwa"). What I in
fact meant earlier about CAN's demise was that when they stopped using the
tape-loop & multi-bounced two-track method with LANDED album in 1975 - and
switched to using a 16-track - that this killed the spirit of the band.
They admit this themselves. But they nonetheless released a plethora of
great albums before this: TAGO MAGO, EGE BAMYASI, FUTURE DAYS, UNLIMITED
EDITION, SOON OVER BABALUMA and bootlegs etc. As you can tell by my
interest, CAN is one of my favorite all-time bands!

P.S. I do not wish to refute the usefulness of DAW's! Basically all of the
recordings our band ROPE does end up being edited using CoolEDIT and EMagic
stuff. That's more my bandmate's specialty than mine, though.