Cheap, fun synth

I've had this gizmo about a month and finally used it on a
gig, so I thought I'd report to y'all.
I am refering to the Boss SYB-3 Bass Synthesizer pedal.
Some freak at Roland put an oscillator and an envelope
filter in a stompbox. No special pickup is
required-tracking is OK on guitar & bass. Oddly, it covers
the same range on both-the bottom 2 1/2 octaves. If you
play more than one note at once it warbles interestingly,
much like a Whammy pedal. I ran the SYB-3 into the Whammy
to increase its range and it sounds pretty good with the 1
or 2 octave up settings.
I haven't run anything except guitar and bass through it,
but I bet miked horns or vocals could produce some pretty
sick sounds.
There have been reviews in Guitar Player & Bass Player
that give details of the features, so I just thought I'd
give my account of using it.
It's very cool for getting some basic analog synth sounds,
especially on the 70s P-Funk tip. The wave shape modes get
a neat fuzz sound-like overdriving a 4-track or a stereo.
This and the T-wah mode work over the whole range.
I was able to use the wave shape instead of an overdrive
for leads & the t-wah sounded very cool on scratchy funk
octaves. The envelope filter sounds better on the synth
sounds than in the t-wah mode and, in that mode, kicks ass
on every pedal filter I've heard except for the Lovetone
Meatball.
I got this gizmo for $160-money well spent. The main
drawback is that its hard to adjust on stage. There's no
memory-you just need to twist knobs and hope for the best.
Also, the 7 synth modes are pretty similar except for the
2 that give an octave down and the three that mix noise
into the sound-the sine, square, and sawtooth waves sound
a lot alike.
So, it doesn't have nearly the flexability of a low-end
Moog or even an old Roland GR-300, but it's pretty fun...
--
Jeff Schwartz
jeffs@bgnet.bgsu.edu