Hackles have been raised!

About this statement:

<< Looping still is home to the overly analytical and cerebral types
 of energy. Those folks do more damge than good to
 music in any category cause they reduce music to
 something less than the gifts it can bear. >>

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but are you saying that the intellect has
no
place in music of any type? Are you saying that the use of analytical and
intellectual skills actually make music worse?

It really irks me when people use terms like "analytical" and "academic"
and
"intellectual" in a perjorative way. Can music only "bear gifts" when it
has
been written to the lowest common denominator? Is Madonna better that Bach
because she's less intellectual?

I enjoy a lot of different kinds of music, from folk traditions to avant
garde
contemporary music, and I would never presume to insult anyone's music
because
it's too smart, or not smart enough. As an artist, I endeavor to bring my
entire self to my work--my intellect, my heart, my soul. I don't think
striving to make intelligent music takes away from my work in any way. In
fact, I think it can only help. Having a brain doesn't preclude having a
heart, does it?

Am I the only one here who feels this way?

Drew Wheeler