Re: just a casual reminder....

>> >just a casual reminder....
>> >...that this is LOOPER'S Delight, not Guitar Player's Delight.....
>>
>> >Now, some of you six-string wunderkinds may find this completely
>shocking,
>> >but a lot of people here don't even play guitar! I know it's hard to
>> >believe, but it's true! Guess how interested they are in long
>discussions
>> >about guitar playing that have no looping content whatsoever?

I dunno, I don't play guitar, hate Allan Holdsworth (yeah, he can play some
cool chords, and is a hot soloist, but his records bore me to tears), and
have about the same feeling about Fripp, but I don't mind seeing them
discussed on the list. I'd rather see a more open forum, where people feel
free to blab about what concerns them, than to have people not post because
something is not quite on topic. Yeah, there's a lot of anal ambient
guitarism that floats about here, but hey, that's what you get when you
gather a bunch of anal ambient guitarists together. It's up to the rest of
us anal non-ambient non-guitarists to provide the antidote.

So, I'm currently listening to what has to be the sickest loop CD I've
heard in ages: Tony Conrad's Early Minimalism. 4 discs of overdubbed,
looped, atonal violin drones. the piece "Four Violins" was recorded in
1964, and it's 32 minutes of multitracked overdriven harmonics, sharp
enough to peel paint at moderate volume. Fantastic stuff!

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra