Re: just a casual reminder....

At 04:58 PM 4/21/98 +0100, tdbajus wrote:
>Mike Biffle wrote:
>
>> >just a casual reminder....
>> >...that this is LOOPER'S Delight, not Guitar Player's Delight.....
>>
>> >Now, some of you six-string wunderkinds may find this completely
>shocking,
>> >but a lot of people here don't even play guitar! I know it's hard to
>> >believe, but it's true! Guess how interested they are in long
>discussions
>> >about guitar playing that have no looping content whatsoever?
>
>I though I ought to jump out here for old Mike's support here...

ok, clearly the fuzz pedal comment was a mistake, since a number of you
seem
to have latched right onto that tree and completely missed the forest.

Here are some choice quotes from "The Net: User Guidelines and Netiquette"
-
by Arlene Rinaldi, which can be found online.  The discussion forum section
is at this url:  http://www.fau.edu/rinaldi/net/dis.html. If you've never
read one of these, I'd encourage you to do so....the ideas underlying
"netiquette" were hashed out long ago and don't require another discussion
here. to wit:

********************

-  Keep your questions and comments relevant to the focus of the
   discussion group.

-  If another person posts a comment or question that is off the
   subject, do NOT reply to the list and keep the off- subject
   conversation going publicly.

-  When someone posts an off-subject note, and someone else
   criticizes that posting, you should NOT submit a gratuitous note
   saying "well, I liked it and lots of people probably did as well
   and you guys ought to lighten up and not tell us to stick to the
   subject".

********************

My post had nothing to do with Miko's pedal reviews, which happened to
appear at the same time. (although, note the third point above....)  It was
not an indictment of anybody in particular, nor was it an order of what you
can or cannot do here. However, it had everything to do with the aggregate
of posts over the past few weeks, which have regularly drifted far from the
list topic, and the unseen effect that has on the group as a whole.

I noticed a pattern long ago in running this list: whenever lots of
off-topic discussion happens, large amounts of people unsubscribe. They
don't say why, they just go. Maybe it's related to the lack of loop
content,
maybe not. But the pattern is clearly there. This has again been happening
for the past week. You may think that you don't care about that, but some
very interesting people left recently, and I don't think that is to the
benefit of the group. Who knows what they might have contributed?

Nobody moderates this group, and I have no intention of changing that. It
operates according to the classic internet principles of communal anarchy.
That is, we are each equally responsible for ourselves and the welfare of
the group, and it is up to each of us to respect the group as a whole. With
regards to topicality, that means being respectful of the time and
interests
of others here, and considering whether a particular post is relevant for
public discussion in this forum or whether it should be conducted in email
or elsewhere. In otherwords, show respect for _everyone_. Bear in mind that
not everybody can filter their mail, not everybody has infinite bandwidth
available, and for those reading the digest (when it works..) deleting a
particular post based on the subject line is not necessarily an option. It
is solely up to you to make these decisions about what you post here; my
only point is to make you a bit more aware of the larger consequences, and
ask that you be considerate.

Looper's Delight is hopefully a special and unique place on the internet,
the only place where people can come to discuss this particular niche of
the
musical universe. There are many other forums which may be more appropriate
for some discussions. Use them as you see fit. There is a long history of
fascinating loop-oriented discussions that have happened here, readily
viewable in the archives of the list. I'd like to see that tradition
continue, rather than see it increasingly watered down.

kim
Kim Flint                       408-752-9284
Mpact Systems Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research              http://www.chromatic.com