Re: Squarepusher on 52nd.

Woehni wrote:

> Have any of you tried recording guitar over music such as Squarepusher??
> I`m wondering
> if it might be "too much" stuff going on , with the busy groove and all
>that , to actually improvise some guitar over it.

Here are a few guitar+jungle albums:

-- David Bowie, "Earthling."  Surprisingly effective in places, though
the marriage between noisy, metallic guitars and skittering beats is
sometimes a bit awkward.

-- Derek Bailey, "Guitar Drums & Bass."  Bailey improvises his patented
avante-guitar skronk over beats by Laswell collaborator DJ Ninj.  I
wasn't too crazy about it, personally.

-- Bill Nelson, "After The Sattelite Sings."  Largely a song-oriented,
vocal affair; about half of the tunes on here are jungle-oriented.
Pretty good.

-- Pitchshifter, "www.pitchshifter.com"  Yes, that's actually the name
of the album.  Kind of '90s hard-edged alternative rock with programmed
beats, including a few in the 160+ BPM zone (they actually list the
tempos for each tune, which is the first time I've seen a rock band do
that).

-- Goldie, "Saturnz Return."  This two-CD set is a sprawling,
pretentious mess -- a very good 45-minute album is hidden somewhere
within the rampantly boring excess herein.  There's some punkish guitar
played by one of the guys from Oasis on one of the album's bright spots,
"Temper Temper," which also features the unintentionally comical sound
of Goldie doing a Henry Rollins impersonation.  There's some smooth-jazz
styled horrors elsewhere on the disc, replete with slick, clean-toned
guitars.  Can you tell I'm not crazy about this one?