Re: Desktop Loopaz(downside)

<< The thing is, I have rebirth ,cubase , fruity loops demo and a bunch of
other stuf for harddisc/Pc based stuff. My machine is a pentium 200 , 32 Mb
RAM. The problem is: It doesn`t work!!  the drive is too slow(IDE , not
SCSI)
 the soundcard (AWE 32) sounds TOO crappy , I have to turn off my monitor
before EVERY take due to noise
 seeping into my guitar pickups.........At the moment , I can only have 2-3
three tracks of audio MAX......noone knows why.......Im thinkin of
abandoning
the PC as a medium and move to ADAT(or similar)........this probably sets
me
back 5 years until im back on my feet , gear wise.............

  I have to agree that many are the pitfalls ov the desktop musician. One
crappy little thing (like the wrong HD) can screw the whole system. My
solution is a combination of the hardware and software schools of thought.
You
can build a wicked music PC for around a grand( I highly recommend the Gina
soundcard), sampler prices are in the gutter ( Esi-32 for $600 used Akai
s1000
for $400) and then you could get the briliant Cubase producer pack w/ VST
and
Wavelab for around $500. If that weren't enough you can get old 16bit
multi fx
units dirt cheap. What more do you need. No overtaxing your processor with
lots of realtime FX cause you can record wet w/ the multiFX or add FX in
Wavelab. No worrying about sampler polyphony or memory, write with lo-fi
samples then use the good ones to record several trax in VST. Do all the
mixing internally and master in Wave Lab. Total System Cost with decent
monitors: $3K not bad and this is way more than you REALLY need (DJ Shadow
did
his first trax with two turntables and a four track.)
                                                              Aaron the
Zilch
                                                      VicePrezident in
charge
ov Cerebral Dizcomfort
                                                      Audio Terrorism
Corporation/House ov Scof
                              The Makers ov A:P0D."MMMM Asshole Flavoured
Goodness!"