Re: MAX/Computers on Stage

Kim,

I didn't find your post to be negative.  It's good to see a reality
check from an insider every now and then, actually. :)

As far as Powerbooks go, I've owned one and used it to run Max before,
so I'm not against using a Powerbook to control MIDI functions.  But
I'm not sure I'd use one for processing audio on a live gig (though
admittedly I just saw Oval and Jim O'Rourke both use Powerbooks just
for that purpose).  I'd still rather use dedicated hardware for
live effects and looping.

Software synths are a great development, but again, I'm not sold on
dragging a computer to a gig to use them live.  Maybe what I would do
if I had a software synth or two is do all the sound design on the computer
at home and record sounds and/or phrases into a sampler and use that
sampler to play the sounds/phrases live.

Cheers,
Paolo