Cheapskate again

> >Why stop there? When you perform, just charge the venue 2/3ds less than
>the
> >rest of the musicians in the town...
>
> Don't forget to lower your working wage at your day job as well so
>you'll be
> cheaper than the rest of the employed work force. Therefore more
>desirable.

My band is not my job.

> I'm not about to bust my butt to evolve a concept and put together the
> technology (low or hi) cart it to the gig (which is probably a very low
>paying
> one), play for a group of people of whom maybe 25% show any respect for
>the
> performance, then charge the price of a Big Mac, Fries and Coke for my
>CD!

But how much profit does one realy make selling these cds?  This is a real
question.  I guess I can see if you are a solo act (as many of us seem to
be) but by
the time you split the proceeds 4 or 5 ways...  I would rather have more
of them out
there.  Besides, how many of you out there have a few boxes of unsold cds
sitting
next to your couch?  Lots of my friends do.

> And what about art and soul? Only one other post has mentioned anything
>about
> the esoteric nature of the commitment to an artistic process and it's
>possible
> value.

Art is priceless.  I never figured I would make money doing this.  I do it
because I
need to.

> >>when I get my cd together, I am
> >>going to price it more along the lines of $5 or less, so that more
>people
> >>are likely to pick it up.

> Unfortunately this will only devalue CD sales for the rest of us.

I don't think it works that way, really.  Music is unique to the
individual- buying
jazz band A's record is not going to stop me from buying country band B's
record.
It's not like Jolly Green Giant Frozen Peas vs. Birdseye Frozen Peas.

> Either it is a sign of insecurity from a begginer or it is a price
> gougeing tactic.

Err... I know you weren't meaning this to be a jab, so I won't take it as
one.
Insecurity?  That seems a bit ridiculous.  And I don't think that Fugazi
is trying
to get even with Mariah Carrey because they sell their cds for 10-11 bucks
a piece.

> (Which has been disastrous in some trades like photography and
> i.c. chip manufacturing.)

The thought of a looper from the Pacific Rim making really cheap records
and taking
all our fans away just flashed in front of my mind's eye and made me
chuckle.  Think
about it.

And let me finish with this: I sincerely hope that we all do well for
ourselves, to
whatever standards we hold ourselves.

Trevor