For Sale: Protools pkg

        Was going to put my Protools digital recording/editing system in
the
Recycler, then thought I'd put it here first.  I've got a 10 month old
package:  Protools for Mac with Audiomedia III card and 'D-fx' effects
plug-
in, that I'll sell for $500.  This has the latest 4.1 software update (with
DAE Powermix), all documentation and manuals.  This software uses a
Powermac
for 8 tracks of simultaneous 16 bit digital audio playback, with great
editing
and mixing features.  The Audiomedia 3 card gives 2 tracks of digital and
analog I/O with very nice A-D's.  For full specs check out Digidesign's
website at www.digidesign.com.  Lemme know if anyone's interested.
Thanks,   Tim Story

Looping with Protools has been like a revelation to me, too.  No, it is not
a real-time process, but the system has become so good that it is prety
intuitive to pull off clean loops fairly quickly in the studio.

A few musicians and myself are putting together a broad range of "dancable
soundscapes" using bits of very long jams that we then assemble into fairly
structured tunes.  This is by no means revolutionary, as this has been the
driving force behind a number of "dance" projects, most notabably for me
Amon Tobin and Bill Laswell's "Material," (not to mention that Teo Macero
was doing this with Miles in the late 60s!) however Protools makes doing
this sort of thing dead easy.  No cutting tape, no bouncing down, no guess
work.  And if you don't like the results, just undo them and find something
that works better.

The studio I work in has recently aquired a HUI and I must say, for any
Protools owners out there, you MUST get this box (or Digi's forthcoming
ProMix).  You can get rid of your mouse, you could even get rid of your
monitor (though a monitor is still really nice to have).  The HUI allows
you quick access to all plugins and just about every aspect of Protools
that you would want to control.  Finding insert and loop points is way too
easy thanks to the jog/shuttle dial.

We generally start with a drum beat. Several of the musicians I work with
play drums, and someone will just jump into the booth and play some
patterns for about half an hour.  We'll all sit down with this raw
material, pick something that is both groovy and a little twisted and loop
that.  Someone will lay down a bass line which will also be looped, and we
just go from there.  We'll lay in found sounds, free jazz jams, analog
synth weirdness, etc.  For one tune, we have even settled on a B3/guitar
unison line that is being ram-roded on top of a 4 bar rhodes vamp that was
looped in realtime using an Echoplex.

Loops with in loops within loops.  Protools has definatly changed my life
and the way I make music.  If you have a fat trustfund, you really must
pick a system up.