Re: Boomerang

At 1:44 PM 8/8/98, eric potter wrote:
>Kim Flint wrote:
>
>>  So I guess I still don't understand
>> why it is you think the echoplex is too complicated to perform with. Do
>you
>> have something more specific? What is it that confuses you? That was my
>> question, and you didn't really answer it.
>
>Here's my idea of the 'rang's simplicity (I am not the original poster):
>
>The Boomerang fits perfectly into my stage/jam set-up because it is a
>floor pedal
>with no rack associations. This is a simpler arrangement for me because my
>current
>signal processing set-up is 100% pedal based. It goes guitar>pedalboard
>(w/boomerang)>amp. Set-up involves
>plugging in AC, guitar into board, board into amp. GO.

I recently bought a Boomerang for exactly the same reasons Eric mentions
here. I was going to wait on the EH 16 Second re-issue, but I picked up the
'rang a few weeks ago, and it has simplified my life. I go from bass
->pedalboard->rang->amp and it takes about 10 minutes to hook it all up. My
previous system, using  the JamMan and Vortex in rack meant stringing 2
more audio cables, 3 more cables carrying control voltages to the
JamMan/Vortex foot pedals, 3 more pedals and another volume pedal. I am
losing some functionality, here, and probably some sound quality, but when
I'm playing with the rang, it doesn't feel like I'm missing anything. It
sound fine, as good as any of my other effects through my amp, and it has a
very well-desogned user interface. I think the interface is more of an
issue to JamMan users than the Echoplex, the plex foot controller is a
great design, but the ease of setup still applies.

>Still, though it seems unlikely, I have to ask...
>
>Kim, what do you think of a 100% floor based EDP?
>What would it be like? Would anything have to be sacrificed to fit it in a
>Boomerang-sized case?
>
>-eric

Yeah, I'd buy one.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra