Q`s about AWE 32 performance.

Hi all , I have a few problems with the performance of my AWE 32 card.
When I record an audiofile in my Cubase prog(not VST)  I have to choose
mono-playback
and mono-record in order to avoid glitches and freeweeling sync between
audio and midi. This is a big problem because I can`t PAN things left and
right and the mix sounds crowded. Could this be a driver-problem?

Can any of you offer advice on this?   (PS; my machine is 200 mhz Pentium
, 32 mb RAM
IDE drive (sigh...) )

Yours , Thomas