Re: Black boxes

<<I wish someone could tell me I'm mistaken.  Is there something truly
interesting out there?

Yes, I think so (or maybe I'm just easily impressed/amused :) ).  Check out
Eric Wengers' audio synth (sampler, wave shaper, procedural synth etc.)
program "Metasynth" and his newly released midi sequencer (that can
exchange
files with Metasynth) "Xx".  Downloadable demos/soundfiles etc. can be
found
at <<http://www.uisoftware.com/PAGES_ALT/acceuil_meta.html>>
There's a Metasynth "Music Gallery" at:
<<http://www.metasynth.com/METASYNTH/MUSIC/Musicgallery.html>>
Right now Metasynth is basically a compositional tool (although I have
used it
by 'Vortexturizing" loops composed in Metasynth that serve as "soundscapes"
for improv.- Warr¨/Stick¨/Loops).  I recently talked to an Arboretum
software
rep. about whether or not Metasynth would ever become a real time
instrument
with the ability to "paint" pre/post curser on each loop pass and also be
able
to trigger fade/hold of previously "painted" passes (ala: Lex. J'man etc.).
He hinted that this was one the things that (I sent Eric Wenger a similar
query but haven't heard back yet) was being worked on.  At any rate check
it
out I think it's "interesting" - Paul