Re: Home Studio

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Steve Lauder wrote:

>in
> your system, convert to a decent termination mechanism as soon as you
>can.
> <<<
>
> OK OK, I see someone's experimented a little more than I have.  When it
> comes to RCA jacks, you can't really do a lot when they're built in to
>your
> soundcard surely?  And wouldn't it invalidate your warranty to change
> connectors on other audio devices too?

I wouldn't change the RCA jacks in your sound card.  But maybe use some
good RCA-BNC converters?  That way, if you're plugging and unplugging
stuff regularly, you won't be putting stress and wear on that cheap
connector (mounted on a cheap PCB, too).  Or just use good RCAs, connect
your mixer to your PC, and DON'T move it unless you absolutely have to!

>the
> audio equipment of decent human beings should be tortured, forced to
> listen to Barry Manilow, and tortured again. <<<
>
> Are you suggesting that listening to Barry Manilow ISN'T torture?

Nah, the torture is just a warm-up.  :}

>and
> advertising, not quality.  Find some well-made satellite dish coax with
> and all-copper (not copper plated!) conductor and copper foil shield.
> Stranded is more flexible if you need that, but solid-core sounds better.
> Wire size isn't NEARLY as much of an issue as Monster Cable would have
>you
> believe.  Wire quality and decent insulation are, though, and there's
>more
> to quality wire than "OFC".  <<<
>
> I'm sure CAT-5 cabling IS much better than oxygen-free, but not everyone
>has
> access to it.  I agree that the quality of the wire is more important
>than
> the thickness of it, and insulation is a big issue - but isn't good
> insulation what OFC is about?  an airtight insulation around the wire?
>I've
> never heard of Monster Cable (I stated that I wasn't familiar with
>brands),
> and I wasn't trying to make out that OFC was the be-all and end-all of
> everything.  I was merely trying to state that compared to tatty old
>speaker
> wire, OFC is a much better and more accessible alternative

Actually, OFC means no oxygen (and no copper oxide, AKA corrosion) in the
wire itself.  Oxygen and copper are both pretty reactive, and it's
difficult to keep the oxygen out during the wire drawing process.  OFC is
"Oxygen-Free Copper", and usually rated "four nines" or "six nines",
suggesting 99.99% pure or 99.9999% pure.

Monster Cable is hugely marketed stuff you'll find in most audio and car
audio stores.  They started the whole "big wire" thing, and they
concentrate a lot on the visual appeal of their products.  Ripoff!!

For good, cheap, premade connectors, try Radio Shack.  Get the stuff with
gold-plated connectors with spring strain relief.  It's cheap and very
durable, and you won't hear a difference between it and Monster Cable
connectors costing 10 times as much.  If you're making your own cables,
buy nice Switchcraft, Re-An, or other brand name connectors in bulk from
an electronics catalog like Mouser or Allied.

> believe
>
> >>   I'm sure it did!
>
> Do I detect a note of carcasm in that comment?

Nope!  Good cabling made with care and attention to detail will improve
any system.  I have no doubt that you heard a huge improvement when you
rewired your system.  :}

-dave

Practice beautiful randomness and act kind of senseless.
<dstagner@icarus.net>