Re: collage (was:FNV-RIAA IS CRACKING DOWN)

>From Thomas:
>>I think there is a distinction because audio-samples are the product
ITSELF. If you sample 5 seconds from a CD you taken the WHOLE product.
There is no distintion between your cd and your initial recording of the
cd(the sample). You can`t compare that to cutting out a piece of a poster
because a poster is not "viewed" the same way as a 5 minute song. A corner
of a a Picasso painting doesn`t do the same for the whole
"collage-painting" that , say , a Steve Gadd-groove does for a song. Even
if you sample someting which is NOT a part of a groove it`s still more than
a small part of the whole.<<

Now that's an interesting element I hadn't thought of...  For my own work
and other peoples' work I listen to, the sample is rarely looped and
expanded to base a whole composition on, that is, a groove or extended
background soundscape.  Usually it's literally a "corner" of the whole
piece.  A five second sample lasts 5 seconds and that's it, usually for me,
so I hadn't thought about the loop aspect.  Maybe an additional distinction
that must be taken into account is the actual USAGE of the sample.
Waitaminnit - that sounds pretty obvious....back to work!