CRACK is RAAINNing DOWN

> compensation.   Even WB has had to comply on this level, actually.  One
fine
> example that foreshadowed this very controversy happened with "My Life In
> The Bush With Ghosts", a Brian Eno/David Byrne collaboration that I think
> enough of us remember from 1980.  Sire Records, in case one forgets, is a
> sublabel of Warner Bros.  They had to reissue the album, minus a few
tracks,
> which had included taped bits used without permission.

i'm with you, steve.. also - the BUSH OF GHOSTS album had to 'lose' a track
that had a reading of the Qu'ran, i believe due to complaints from islamic
fundamentalists....

but, yeah - this is all hot button stuff... i personally say - tear those
samples apart, make 'em original if you HAVE to use an existing riff. And
though i like some of more tastefully done stuff...i heard an old De LA
Soul track the other day - with Steely Dan's "Peg" riff in it, and it
worked well... but other times - like ALL of PuffedUp Daddy's
"works".....is really throwing together others' recognizable riffs.. i mean
it's abhorrent to me to get one to enjoy a song - and it's groove and
melody, when it's a police or queen song!?!? I mean - the listener is
responding emotionally to a song s/he knows from the past....

It's cheesy, most of the time.

However - when the usage is IRONIC , like what Negativland would do,
etc..hmm. i dunno. somehow since there is a POINT being made, it's a diff.
situation. Of course, the laws can't be written to exclude "ironic
references", can they>!??!

andre'