Re: Fwd: FNV-RIAA IS CRACKING DOWN

At 1:28 AM -0700 8/28/98, Thomas W¿hni wrote:

>>" - Music examples of more than 4 measures;"
>

>I don`t know where this is from , but it is wrong.There are no
>time-limitations
>listed in any laws. If there is then Norway is different from your laws.
>Let me know , ok?
>
>Yours, Thomas

you removed the surrounding context, wherein it was noted that this is a
guideline employed by a publisher for when they feel it's important to seek
permission or not. That was pretty clearly explained on the copyright info
web page this came from, which was referenced, and which you probably
didn't actually read, eh? :-)

And for fair use, one of the clauses has to do with how much of the
original is quoted. There is no clear amount stated in the laws, but in a
fair use argument in court, whether you are using 1% or 99% would be
considered. So that is a vague sort of time limit on fair use. I think that
is why this particular publisher had created the list of guidelines on this
website.

kim