Re: collage (was:FNV-RIAA IS CRACKING DOWN)

Crossedout@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/28/98 3:41:32 AM Central Daylight Time,
>hovard@online.no
> writes:
>
> << But couldn`t Van Halen deny them the right to cover his song? >>
>
> I'm not sure, but I think if you pay the royalty assigned to cover
>versions,
> you can record and release whatever you want.

As I recall:
1) When you create a work, you own the copyright to the work.  The
copyright is yours since
you are the creator.  No paperwork is necessary.

2) You register your copyright with the US government.  Do not confuse
your creation of the
work (which means you own the copyright) with your registration of the
copyright (which
means you sent in paperwork, etc.).  You may chose to register your
copyright to increase
your legal evidence should your copyright ownership be distputed.  The
government does not
grant you a copyright, that is your right as the creator.  The government
functions as a
service to register copyright claims.

3) As the copyright owner, you have the right to first publication of the
work.  You can
refuse anybody the right to publish (i.e., to record and distribute) until
you have done
so.

4) Once you have published, you cannot refuse the right for someone else
to publish;
however, they must pay you a royalty.

- Dennis Leas