Re: Far out man!

Hi Dave
I was wondering if you could help me out with a little problem, towards
which I would be eternally grateful...

A while back somebody had asked a question about getting signal from their
guitar rack w/o an amp and you had given an answer of making a line out for
the guitar amp.  You said -

"Get a little project box.  It needs a 1/4 jack going in and rwo 1/4 jacks
going out.  The input jack should be connected to the regular speaker jack
on your amp. For the two output jacks, wire them in parallel.
Put a 1000 ohm 5 watt resistor in series with one of the jacks.  This is
the line out.
You should be able to plug it directly into mixers, etc...  Make sure the
speaker is plugged into the other jack!  It is bad for tube amps to not
receive a proper load.....It requires almost NO electronics knowledge!"

What I'm trying to do these days is very similar, except that my amp is not
a guitar amp but ANY amp (electronic toys, Casio PK-1, portable tuntable).
I have a turntable which is from the 50's and doesn't have a line out.  So
a friend of mine soldered the wires leading to the built in speaker to an
output jack.  When I plugged it in to a guitar amp. a capacitor exploded
inside the record player.  Then I remembered your post about  resisters and
loads.  Should I try it  again with a resistor in series?  Should the
resistor be in the ground or the hot wire?  What's the formula to determine
ohms and wattage for any kind of electroinic sound source (powering a small
speaker) to get it to a line out level?

Again I would be greatly indebted to you for any enlightenment...

Ed