Re: Visual interest in music

John Price wrote:

> >Dpcoffin@aol.com wrote:
> >>
> >> In a message dated 10/20/98 2:21:50 PM, you wrote:
> >>
> >> <<Well, we all have our shortcomings.  In addition to a vigorous
> on-stage
> >> display of semi-rhythmic enthusiasm, I prefer that all the musicians
> be
> >> cute, between the ages of 19 and 29, and outfitted in the latest
> youth
> >> fashions.>>
> >>
> >> Or would you perhaps prefer your audience to be blindfolded?
> >
> >Sounds intriguing! I like it! ;)
> >
> >- Dennis Leas
> >--
> >dennis@mdbs.com
> >

> I tend to think the visual aspect of performance is very important and
> can be as stimulating and as integral to a performance just as much as
> musical skill, gear, presentation and arrangment/placement of sound
> matters.

I totally agree (please note the "smiley in my message above).  To me,
this is an important aspect that
distinguishes live music from recorded music.  For what I'm trying to
accomplish, the thing is not just the
sound.  I have two "rules" for my looper performances: 1) No pre-recorded
sounds, including samples.  2) Only
"natural" instruments, i.e., no synthesizers.  I believe that by adhereing
to these rules, the performance is
more interesting (and accessable) to the audience.

- Dennis Leas
--
dennis@mdbs.com