RE: Roland Dr. Sample

        >>but would someone care to tell me what it means to "filter the
samples?"

I can't give you a true technical definition of a filter, but in the
case of Dr. Sample there are two different waveforms called envelopes
that filter out the high end of whatever sound you put through it.  You
can sweep the amount of highs cut by turning the knob.  This effect is
heard just about anywhere but it is especially prevalent in
house/techno, drum'n'bass, trip hop, etc.

I think I've read someplace that you can route a signal through the Dr.
Sample to use the effect, without actually sampling the sound first.  My
setup is too convoluted for me to use it as an effect device, so I
haven't attempted to use it that way (yet.)

For anyone who wants a variety of opinions on the unit, there are plenty
of comments on the Dr. Sample at www.the-gas-station.com.  Click on the
new reviews section and look for the boss/roland sp-202.