Hello Everyone!! -Some questions I have.....

Hello, first of all. I'm happy to see this mailing list exists!
    Anyway I've been doing stuff since 6th grade(writing MIDI sequences for
for "Adlib FM" type playback). 2 years ago, I bought a wavetable
soundcard(I
thought it would solve my music wishes). The wavetable sucked, but its
16bit44khz dac came in handy- as I could loop beats and sounds! The only
thing is: How can I arrange collections of samples (like in a musical
sequence) ,and add nice sounding drums or backbeats using what I have and
software? What software? Do I need a new Soundfont compatible soundcard to
treat custom samples like MIDI notes? or what? please help.