Re: Enough Already!!

>Am I the only one out there who could care less if 'looping catches on'?

I'll second that.

>As long as there is ,at least ,adequate technology in the field I'm happy.
>
>Right now there is more than enough devices for looping.
>
>What's the problem?

It's that the lower costing ones don't deliver stereo samples. Isn't that
right everybody?

>You wan't to make a living off of it?
>
>Unless your sexier than the Back street boys, or can shake your ass better
>than Will Smith, or have better outfits than the Spice Girls, or can
>insult
>more people than Manson it's probably not going to happen.

Or you're David Torn, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, E#, and a few select
others.

>I have never expected to live off of the music I make.....
>First of all I make it for myself(or whoever im working with)and share it
with
>friends or people who are GENUINLY interested in it.
>
>Second of all, when dealing with 'avant-garde' music , or whatever that
means,
>one cannot expect 'the masses' , or whatever that means, to greet it with
open
>arms, at least in the US.

You've got that one right. The only parts of the US that you can get good
avant-garde music is NYC. Other than that you have to go to Toronto or
France, Germany, or England.

>Also, what is all of this nonsense about wanting looping to considered a
>legitimate instrument.
>By who?
>Do all of you need society to tell you it's 'ok' to use that shinny box?

That's very, very true. I'm purposely bringing myself into sub-commercial
music on purpose. Even though i barely use looping.

>And what is all of that other nonsense tying 'real instruments' to
>physical
>techniques?
>We only need to go through some physical medium(i.e. guitar player moving
his
>fingers and hands about)because there is no better way.
>If it were possible(on probably will be in not too long)we won't even need
an
>instrument, at least in the traditional sense of the word.
>It would all happen upstairs, if thats what one wants.

Well, that can already happen with everything coming out of your brain.
It's
incredibly hard to control. Which is kinda like life. But i do like looped
REAL instruments (like percussion, and other instruments.)

>I think all of you(I'm addressing the ones who sent the mail {I dont want
>throw a blanket statement out there on all of you})are overly conserned
with
>being accpeted by society, your peers, consumers, 'musicians'...etc.....

You're right again.

>We are all artists(in one medium or another, or multiple ones).
>Most of us deal with sound, again, whatever that means
>But it is art nonethe less
>
>I leave you all with a few quotes that I like
>
>"Art, if you want a definition of it, is criminal action. It conforms to
>no
>rules. Not even its own.  Anyone who experiences a work of art is as
>guilty
as
>the artist. It is not a question of sharing the guilt.  Each one of us
>gets
>all of it."  John Cage

Cage was, is, and will always be a genius. He was the complete
non-conformist. He wouldn't even let his music conform itself to what Cage
originally thought for the concept of the piece.

I think that if you do want more commercial success. you should be out
there
making a name for yourself, instead of talking to all of us who are out
there either really putting ourselves up for hire, or just to make a little
bit of enjoyment for themselves with music.

Learn how to promote yourself...that should get you some more gigs.

Sincerely,
Jeff Collins