Re: idea/new feature

At 3:03 PM -0800 2/18/99, Dennis W. Leas wrote:
>Here's an idea for a new feature for the EDP (Kim, are ya' listenin'?).

yep.

>It would really be cool if you could dump/load samples in a speedy
>manner.  I'm thinking of something like 1 or 2 seconds to complete the
>operation.  I know MIDI wouldn't support this but I'm thinking of
>something like 10 or 100 Mbps Ethernet.

interesting thing: it's now typical for embedded microprocessor development
to use ethernet for transferring code from the PC to the development
systems. (serial ports were used in the bad old days.) So all the
microprocessor eval systems and software development tools come with
ethernet built in. The result is, at the end of the product development,
you've got functional ethernet developed for free.

So, given time and money, (a lot of money, please give us money. :-)  we
aurisis maniacs will eventually develop another Loop hardware platform, and
it will certainly have ethernet as a possibility for the final product.
I've been thinking of this for a while actually. Ethernet is useless for
real time control, but great for fast, reliable file transfers. It would
seem pretty cool to me to have your studio all networked, right?

someday.

kim

(Or maybe firewire will finally arrive, that would be even better.)