Re: loop subtraction

At 6:22 PM -0800 3/10/99, b.knox wrote:
>"Dennis W. Leas" wrote:
>
>> Mark Landman wrote:
>> >
>> > This brings up the interesting question of how to "bring the loop back
>> > down", it's easy to quickly build a formidable wall of sound, but much
>> > harder to elegantly thin it outŠ
>
>snip
>

>> Well, just to point out the obvious (but perhaps not obvious to non-EDP
>>users), the UNDO
>> function on the EDP lets you "unstack" sounds.

also, the loop copying methods someone else mentioned.

>another method i would guess is decrease feedback (with an edp) and play a
>repeating phrase... i
>do this quite frequently with the boomerang ... it can take a while but i
>like the effect.. you
>sort of "thin out" the loop by making a thick single --- umm hate to say
>it but "riff"... can
>also thin to "gentle noise" like swell harmonics or scrapes etc... it
>would be nice to have more
>control over feedback (making me again drool over the almost mythical edp
>-- effectively mythical
>in this country anyway)...

Feedback control is a great way to evolve loops. As the loop is slowly
dying, you add new things to it until it is something else. We've talked
about that before. One problem you hit with it is with really long loops. A
30 second loop, and you'll be waiting a long time for feedback to have some
effect! The great trick Matthias taught me is to snip out a smaller piece
of your loop to make a much shorter loop, and apply feedback to that while
adding new material. The evolution goes much faster that way. On the
Echoplex you can do this really easily by using the multiply-record
combination. If you have multiply going, and tap record to end it, you
define a new loop at that point. So you might decide that some short
stretch in your long loop is an interesting theme for evolving into a new
section. Tap multiply at the beginning of that, and Record at the end of
it. Then you'll have a short loop of just that bit. Then turn feedback
down, overdub on, and evolve away....

>cant you edp users just decrease the feedback to 0 and have whatever you
>play become a naked
>looped phrase again? can you "undo" this? again this would not exactly
>*be* loop subtraction...

you can undo feedback. So the loop can decay from reduced feedback, and
then you bring it back with undo.

kim