Re: Asian instruments

I have had the good fortune of recording many world class Indian musicians.
Most Classical indian musicians utilize little or no electronics during
live
performance though there are a a few western inlfuenced musicians working
in
the film arena who have made interesting use of stomp boxes and what not.
Much of indian film score is heavily processed in post.
One interesting Indian musician that has explored the live use of
electronics
is Ashwin Batish--located in Santa Cruz Ca.  His material presents a
fusion of
classical indian music with electronic loop based grooves.
Incidentally, the sounds of the sitar, kanun and other indian stringed
instruments tend to be come less exotic when processed with modulation,
delay
and filtering.  Afterall, the sympathetic strings and and buzz timbres of
these
instruments are really analog, accoustic versions of filtering, and
modulation
trix.
Consequently, I tend to utilize these timbres as is in my own loop based
music...
Dst