Re: cheap samplers

This information probably is not what you're interested in...but here it
is...

Lately, I've been considering really cheap looping devices.  These interest
me for two reasons: 1) I like "multiple-track" unsynchronized loops - the
more the merrier; 2) I'm a loop evangelist - if more musicians had loopers,
the world would be a better place :)

I haven't reached a conclusion yet, but your message prompts me to share
what I've found so far.

1) REALLY cheap $44.95 (in quantity one) - the Jameco "Digital Voice
Recorder Kit", part no. 116484, product no. JE920KIT can hold a 20-second
loop with lo-fi bandwidth.  This would take some modification, a box,
in/out
jacks, etc.  Sounds like it would be fun to build a batch and sample
audience members!

2) cheap (about $75) - the Jameco "Digital Voice Module", part no. 124871,
product no. DVM58D.  Can be populated with 16 Mb of DRAM to hold 5:35
minutes of full audio bandwidth (44.1 KHz sample rate) or 17:20 minutes at
lo-fi bandwidth.  Again, would require some modification to be used as a
looper.

Neither permits overdubbing, which to me is a requirement for even a cheap
looper.

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com