Compositional devices

clay saunders wrote:
STUPIDITY AS A FRONTIER OF LONLYNESS?

                        !help!

I reciently had a ASR-x on loan and although I found it to have great soud,
I found it rather difficult to use as a compositional device. Is It just me?
Any suggestions on a more intuitive approach to composition on the ASRX?

    In the mean time I am considering what to buy (around 1200 dollars) for
compostional use. Ease of use, sound quality, and versatility (re: live
application) are what Im looking for. Any suggestions of things I should
look at and their pro's and con's?

After considering similar issues, and for a lot less money ($600-650) , I'm going for a Yamaha RM1x (on order).  The sequencer on this is unique and powerful coupled with other midi gear.  There is an  PDF manual at http://www.yamaha.co.uk/eurohome/library/rm1x/rm1xe1.pdf

The drums are supposed to be great, the other sounds so-so, but the brains in the sequencer look excellent.

A review from a like-minded user, with similar gear as I,  influenced my decision. I don't think he'd mind being quoted: