Re: MIDI Controllers with LFOs

Re: the discussion about a standalone hardware MIDI source for an LFO, the
suggestion about sending an analog LFO into a Peavy 1600, is intriguing.

Searching for ready-to-wear analog LFO sources, I found:

Big Briar's MoogerFooger Ring Modulator has an LFO out jack;

Encore Electronics
http://www.encoreelectronics.com
has a box called the Expressionist that has 3 on-board LFO's with multiple
waveforms, that can be assigned to up to 8 CV outs;

Kenton Electronics in the UK
http://www.kenton.co.uk/
has several similar boxes to the Expressionist, each with at least one
multi-wave LFO feeding CV outs. They also sell a 1600-type thing called a
Control Freak that will convert CV ins to MIDI. Don't know if they have a
US
distributor, or if power supplies are a problem.

Of course, there's always the option, on many multiFX, of patching one of
these units' CV out to an exp-pedal input. And in every case, there's the
question of whether a device without an internal LFO will respond without
zippering to an external LFO, either MIDI or CV...depends on the unit, and
on
the parameter...and on the exact voltage coming in, plus many other
imponderables and unpredictables, no doubt, suggesting the need for lots
of
expensive and time-consuming tests. When I win the Lottery, I will
establish
a fully-equipped test lab for trying out every possible piece of gear with
every other piece, in an endless round of ecstatic purchase-ordering and
experimenting. I will allow any interested persons to visit me in my
mountain
retreat to try out all their fantasy equipment for a nominal fee. Gourmet
organic cooking,  naked massage, and hot tubs (all facilities equipped
with
multiple headphone jacks) will be available options.
Lottery tickets and other contributions may be sent to me care of this
station.
dpc