Re: Loop length query

At 7:39 PM -0700 5/31/99, James Pokorny wrote:

>So I use a tactic similar to your looping the changes or bassline for a
>jazz
>tune -- I loop the entire "composition" then practice improvisations over
>it.  This makes it much easier to hear where each beat is, and to be able
>work out how much time is needed to weave the improvisations seamlessly
>back
>into the composition.  I wish I'd had this great tool years ago!

In that practicing vein, I also found that loops helped me improve my
background/rhythm playing a lot. If your tempo drifts while recording a
long loop, it's really obvious at the loop startpoint! Other screw ups too.
The loop puts it right back in your face, and you can't ignore it, so you
try again to get it right. Somehow, when I'm playing, I'm often able to
delude myself into thinking it sounds great. The loop shows no such mercy.

kim