Re: Korg ToneWorks AX1-G

At 6:06 AM -0700 6/2/99, PERILLE wrote:
>> At 10:44 AM -0700 5/31/99, Hawkeye255@aol.com wrote:
>> >I use the Akai Headrush everyday and I get NO AUDIBLE CLICK unless I
>>miss the
>> >loop point badly.  Any sampler will click when the end of the loop and
>the
>> >beginning of the loop are out of phase.  And they will not click when
>>the end
>> >of loop and beginning of loop are in phase.  "Somedays timing is
>>everything."
>>
>> this would be true except for devices designed specifically not to
>click at
>> the endpoint of the loop. (which I think should be the case for anything
>> designed for looping!)  We designed the echoplex this way, where it
>does a
>> quick crossfade between endpoint and startpoint, so you don't get a
>click.
>> In fact, I think the design was always that way, it seemed like a pretty
>> obvious requirement right from the start. I'm rather surprised that
>some of
>> these looping devices coming out now didn't do something similar. You
>> should be able to play anything into the loop, right up to the endpoint
>and
>> beyond, and never get a click.
>>
>> kim
>
>Kim,
>
>With my DJRND2, there is no crossfade between endpoint and startpoint
>during a loop recording !
>
>I just record the phrase just as it is without any signal processing,
>and except in specific cases, it works in 99 percent most of the time
>due to my tempo accuracy.
>
>But shure this device is more designed for Djs than for musicians, and
>of course more critical with basslines on live.
>
>Emmanuel

So, if there is still audio playing in at the point where you end the loop,
you probably get a click, right? If you don't do a crossfade or use
zero-crossing tricks, I don't see how you could prevent that. The
discontinuity between the end sample and the start sample will sometimes be
big enough to be an audible click. I guess the typical dj would be looping
something with a percussive attack at the beginning of the loop, so maybe
it's not so noticeable for that case.

But just wait, there will be some guy who finds it screws up his music, and
boy will he complain! :-)

kim