Re: Room sounds

Sorry, my diagram must of gotten garbled in the transmission...Let me try
it
in words.

Equipment
--------------
* one EDP (set on DELAY mode, not LOOP mode, with feedback at zero)

*one SPX-90 (set on large hall reverb)

*one microphone

*one mixer (TASCAM 1024 in my case) with main outs wired to amp/speakers

Wiring
--------
Microphone into channel 1.

Input of EDP from AUX 1 send (a prefader send, like a monitor send not an
effect send).
Output of EDP to channel 2.

Input of SPX-90 from AUX 2 send (again, a prefader send)
Output of SPX-90 to channel 3.

Control Settings
---------------------
channel 1 (mic)
    main fader up a little (so you can hear mic in speakers)
    sending to AUX 1 (EDP input); set appropriate level for EDP

channel 2 (EDP output)
    main fader up so you can hear EDP in speakers
    sending to AUX 1 (EDP input), this is the feedback of the dry signal to
the EDP; carefully watch the level on this send
    sending to AUX 2 (SPX-90 input), this simulates playing the sound into
reverberation space

channel 3 (SPX-90 output)
    main fader up so you can hear the SPX-90 in speakers
    sending to AUX1 (EDP input), this is the feedback of the wet signal to
the EDP; watch the level carefully also

AUX 1 Master send (master EDP input level)
    I had to ride this level to get "unity gain" in the feedback loop.

AUX 2 Master send (master SPX-90 input level)
    Not too critical.

Operation
-------------
Press RECORD.  Read text into microphone.  Press RECORD to set delay time.
Signal passes from EDP through board AND through SPX-90 and back to EDP.
Carefully futz with the AUX 1 and AUX 2 sends on channel 2 to get an
appealing wet/dry ratio.  Carefully ride the AUX 1 master send to attain
unity gain in the feedback loop.  I do this by ear and by watching the
input
LED on the EDP.  This set-up basically places the SPX-90 in the feedback
loop.

It always takes me awhile to get the levels right before it starts working
correctly.  You might want to turn the channel 2 AUX 2 send to OFF to begin
with and make sure the signal is looping OK through the dry path.  If your
level is set correctly it should slowly fade with each repetition.  Turning
channel 2 AUX 1 send up should make the signal fade less with each rep.
Turning AUX 1 send down will make the signal fade more per repetition.
Once
you have the dry signal looping correctly, turn up channel 2's AUX 2 send.
Remember that the strength of the wet signal is controlled by channel 2's
AUX 2 send AND by the setting of channel 3's AUX 1 send.

The relative levels of Channel 2's AUX 1 and AUX 2 determines the wet/dry
composition of the loop.  The wetter the signal, the quicker it "decays"
into abstract tones.  Play with the EQ setting on channel 2 or 3.  Play
with
different EFX in the feedback loop like chorus, etc.  I've found reverb to
be the most sublime, however.

This is how I wired it but there are many other ways as well, I'm sure.
Hope this helps.  Let me know how it works for you.

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com