Re: John Cage recordings

I always thought that Cage was grouped in classical music because he's
thought
of as a composer. I believe he was also trained in some classical schools.
From
his training, he's descended from classical music. Somehow, when you
compose
music for other musicians to play, and it's not rock, people go and call it
classical. This causes a lot of confusion especially when there's a
sizeable
group of classical music fans who say that "Classical Music" is music from
specific era, like the 1700's or so.

The problem is, there's been no official name for the folks who branched
off of
classical music and composed music in different ways. I've seen "20th
Century
Music" sections in some record stores, but that could also include things
like
Aaron Copeland.

What do you call music by current composers who are classically trained,
but now
compose music for computers? It's as complex as classical, but it sounds
nothing
like baroque music. It often doesn't even sound like instruments! It's
pretty
funny watching people try to describe it. They kind of squirm around and
say,
"You know, THAT kind of music."

matt davignon